When we moved to Brougham Hall, only a few miles away, the new beers were distinctly local, both Brougham Ale and 1823 reflecting the new move. Our first three beers had already had their names shortened by regular use:
Thomas Slee’s Academy Ale was known locally as Academy.
Charles Gough’s Old Faithful was now just Old Faithful.
John Bewsher’s Best Bitter was oddly just called Bewsher’s.
We did lose the pub’s image and we replaced it with the Brougham Hall door knocker.
The door knocker at Brougham is a replica of the original pair “taken for safe keeping” during the second world war never to be seen again. Interestingly they were an exact match with the pair on Durham Cathederal – this caused a few complaints from staunch Durham folk claiming we were using “their” image! Interestingly the first royal motorcade, in 1905, with King Edward VII travelled from the gates of Brougham Hall to Durham.
With almost all pumpclips being octagonal or round at this time we chose to upgrade to octagonal clips – being only associated with Morland’s Old Speckled Hen, itself taken from the original MG logo. The Octagon is considered good luck in the far east, and as both those brands seemed to have had a fair share of success, we felt we would tap into this mystic source of luck.